The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

’86 & ’87 State Football Champions

Colten Craig

Jerome: Thirty years ago Jerome’s football team was performing to the highest ability. In the years of 1986 and 1987 Coach Mattie led the Jerome Tigers to back to back state championships.

In 1986, Jerome football began a long journey to make it to the A-2 State Championship Game. It is said that the team was never expected to make it. The team went through grueling two-a-days, practices, and film just to get the chance to play in the Mini-Dome. Coach Mattie had told the kids, “Got him! Stay with him! I don’t care if he’s going for popcorn…you go with him!” Coach Mattie not only led the team to a State Championship game, he led Jerome to their first ever State Championship title. Jerome ended the season with a 9-3 record and the A-2 State Championship title.

While 1986 was a great year, the 1987 team had a lot to live up to. Coach Mattie, once again, led Jerome to another A-2 State Championship game. Jerome was a force to be reckoned with that year. Varsity assistant coach, Tim Matthews, said, “We had all the momentum going into that year. We were coming out of a State Championship year, and we had a lot of the same kids as the year before.” The team had lost their five star players from the previous season. Not a lot of people had faith that Jerome would be able to repeat the season before. They were wrong. Mike Welch, a Varsity captain, believed Coach Mattie always had them ready and psyched the whole season to go to state. The sacrifice, self-discipline, and effort put in during the long season had paid off in the end. Jerome had yet again brought home the A-2 State Championship title.

On October 21, during halftime of the Jerome vs. Twin Falls football game, the school commemorated a few of the 86’ and 87’ football players for the effort and Championships they gave to Jerome. Among them was; Coach Bartlett, Denny Stauffer, Scott Burton, Jay Ostler,

Tim Matthews, Mike Aardema, Jim Bos, Pat Hughes, Alan Leavitt, Brian Schroeder, Rick Traughber, Rob Bartholomew, and Tracy Black.