The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Influence of Music

Makali Nance

Music is the flow of musical instruments with additional words to add a story or message. As you may see on television, many athletes listen to music while warming up. You may ask why?

“Before games there will always be a distraction in my mind. As I listen to music it helps get me focused and help me find my goal for what I want to do before each game. When I’m listening to music, it shuts everyone else out. My beats are turned up loud, and I think about what I need to do to beat my opponent. You will never see me without earbuds before any game,” said Mercedes Bell (9).

Stanford University has shown studies of the brain being able to concentrate easier with music.

“The study suggests one possible adaptive evolutionary purpose of music. Music engages the brain over a period of time. The process of listening to music could be a way that the brain sharpens its ability to anticipate events and sustain attention”, said Jonathan Berger (PhD).

With this in mind, could this be why athletes in high school and even professionals listen to music before games? Although music isn’t just used to focus before games, music can also be a piece of art to some people. Some melodies tend to ease the mind allowing your brain’s muscles to relax. The Auditory Area of the brain is engaged while music is played.

As many scientists have figured, music creates moods for many people. For instance, suppose you listen to a slower tune. You would expect a relaxation type of feeling. Although it can alternate depending on the individual’s personality.

“I’m a performer and music is my profession. I have different feelings.  If I’m preparing for a concert, music is work and my feeling is very different.  I’m focused and not emotional.  If I’m playing for fun, my feelings can change from calm wonder filled or angry and aggressive depending on the type of music I’m playing,​” said Penni Aufderheide, music teacher at Summit Elementary.

Also music isn’t just to improve focus and create moods. It has also been proven over time that with the help of music, it allows the brain to improve its ability to capture depth and richness of sound. According to L.A. Johnson and Alyson Hunt, people with musical education improve neurophysiological distinction. As a diagram shows, kids with one year of music education have half the strength verses those whose experienced two years of education.

Overall, music can connect to many individuals in multiple ways. Whether it be performing, listening, or learning, music has empowered our world.