The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Preseason Golf

Marita Avery

This year on the Jerome Golf team there are approximately ten girls and fifteen boys coming to the practices. There are seventeen returning players from years past and with those seventeen there are eight new players.

The weather this year has been crazy and Coach Richard Burke said, “Weather, oh my.  This has been the worst winter I’ve ever had to coach in.  We have been able to review rules, pass out gear, do raffle items as well as take team pictures to fill some of our down time.  We should be at Jerome Country Club by Monday the 13th of March.”

All of the varsity players that were on the tem last year have returned for another season of golf this year. Each year coaches keep an average of every player and the individual teams.

Last year the boys team took sixty strokes off of their average from the previous year and the team is hoping to be in the top three of our conference. Burke said that he doesn’t expect to see such a big improvement again but he knows the team will improve more from last year’s score.

Due to a loss of an assistant coach last year the team has a new assistant coach. McKinsey Rodrigues, science teacher from Jerome Middle School, is the new assistant coach for this year’s season.

Burke says that Rodrigues is a good golfer who is going to bring great enthusiasm and knowledge to the golf team, he will be a good addition to the golf team.

The golf team has been to two tournaments. The first one in Burley and the second at Muni Golf courses.