The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Softball Preseason

Isabella Birnie

The 2017 JLT Softball Team is looking forward to a successful season. There were a record number of girls trying out this year, and although coaches did have to make cuts, the result is a lot of depth and talent on both the JV and Varsity teams. The coaching staff features head coach Chris Bragg along with returning coaches John Weist and Brad Meyers. The Jerome softball program is also lucky enough to have two new coaches this year, Bri Kober and Colby Arygle.

Due to inclement weather and rough field conditions, the first games of the season against Madison and Bonneville, originally slated for March 10, had to be rescheduled for March 14. Teams throughout the district, including Jerome, are struggling with snow covered or flooding fields that are unplayable. Tryouts and practices have been held inside in the gym for the first week and the girls put in a lot of work shoveling snow off the field.

Brooklyn Jackson said, “No season has started off quite like this one but it’s definitely not slowing us down. We have a lot of potential and talent, now we just need to get out there and show it.”

There are four graduating seniors on the squad: Emily Bragg, Mila Chavez, Brooklyn Jackson, and Isabella Birnie. “I think this season could be really good for us,” said senior Emily Bragg, “We have a lot of underclassmen that have serious potential, and I think they will help take us far this season.”

The team is putting work in and although everyone feels a little cooped up practicing in the gym, there is still an air of excitement and anticipation. “There’s nothing quite like the weeks leading up to the first game,” says Birnie, “we’re figuring each other and the team dynamics out, working hard, but haven’t ‘broken the seal’ on the year yet. I’m looking forward to the coming season.”

“We are all ready to be out on the field and giving it our all and I think, despite the setbacks and limitations, we’ll be working hard and doing just that come Tuesday”, says senior Mila Chavez.

Head coach Chris Bragg mentioned that, “The team looks very promising, although it’s a little hard to tell when we can’t get on the field quite yet. If it ever stops snowing, we’ll know for sure! We have a lot of talent and depth.”

If you want to come out and support your Jerome softball team, the first regular season home game will be held on March 22 at the Forsyth Fields in Jerome opposing Twin Falls.