The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Baseball Preseason

Jordin Myers

It’s that time of the year again. Where more memories are made and teams are affected by spring weather. This year the weather has not been very cooperative for baseball as many teams around the Magic Valley have been affected. With snow covered fields, the Jerome Tigers have had to change the way they practice. Spending the whole time indoors working on mainly footwork preparing as much as they can for the first game of the season.

After last year’s season the Tigers are looking to bounce back. Head coach Mike McDonald mentioned that the single biggest thing the team needs to improve on is consistency at the plate, in the field, and on the mound. There were stretches or parts of the game were the Tigers played pretty good baseball. As they would look good at the beginning they would struggle to put together a full game and fall apart late in the game. A young lineup last year played a part in the inconsistency of games as the Tigers only rostered two seniors. Coach McDonald fully expects the team to be better prepared mentally and physically to avoid the ups and downs experienced last season.

Twin Falls and Minico are traditionally two of the top baseball programs in all of 4A and will be good again this year. Twin returns the bulk of their pitching staff and always plays great defense, while Minico plays good fundamental baseball and seems to reload every year.

Every year the Jerome Baseball and Softball programs put on a camp for boys and girls ages 7-12. The camp will be held at the Jerome High School varsity baseball field on April 8th from 10 AM – 2 PM. Parents can preregister by contacting one of the high school coaches or sign up the day of the camp. Cost is $25 and includes lunch and a camp t-shirt.