The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Preseason Tennis

Celeste Kissinger

Tennis, a game that incorporates both muscle movement and quick thinking. Tennis season is coming up shortly, and Jerome’s Tennis Team is ready to dominate the court.

Jerome’s Tennis team used to barely have enough students to fill the spots on the varsity team, which means no in-team competition for the higher spots in varsity. This lead to a lot of lost matches. Now however, there are enough players to fill all of the varsity and junior varsity spots.

Jerome’s Team is coached by Nicole Waitley, a go getter with big hopes for her team. She said, “JTT does have some frontrunners this season that I know intimidate the other teams in our league. However, I hope the whole varsity team makes it to state, and they have the potential to do so is they set a goal of improving at each practice and match.”

Since the average tennis player runs about 3.5 miles per match, the players must be properly in shape before the season begins. This means having demanding preseason conditioning. The Jerome Tiger Tennis Team’s preseason conditioning includes: a mile-long jog on flights of stairs, and a half hour of intense workouts over 1 minute intervals for each exercise.

Ashley Crofts, Sophomore, said, “I honestly don’t think I’ll make it to state cause it’s actually very difficult. I love talking to everyone, unfortunately my talking costs us more laps!”

Sophomore Canyon Cartisser said, “I don’t know about making it to state just yet but I’m willing to work to be able to! My favorite thing about tennis is being able to grow to be a better tennis player and a better person.”

Cody Cartisser, Senior on the team, said, “Tennis has been my life since I first picked up a racquet my sophomore year. I’ve been putting as many hours as I can, waking up at five to play, playing after practice, anytime that I can play I do.”