The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

State Wrestling Results

Makali Nance

On February 24-25, thirteen of the Jerome High School wrestlers participated in the state tournament.

As many battled for their slot to place, three of the thirteen placed. Tony Kissinger (12) placed fourth, Zachary Borrayo (12) placed third, and Ezekial Williamson (10) placed first becoming a back-to-back state champion. As the tournament came to an end, the team ended up ranking eighth in the 4A division.

As we asked Ezekial how it felt to be crowned state champion once again he said, “It felt great to be a back to back state champion. I couldn’t have gone this far without the support from my family and the hard work and dedication of my coaches as well as my teammates. The end goal has always been to be Jerome’s first four-time state champion. Some people get comfortable thinking that they are the best and think they don’t need to work hard, but that’s why I am succeeding I don’t think that highly of myself. I believe there is always room to progress. Next season I will be working harder because I’ll be one step closer to achieving my goal. As the years go on, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to be the best I can be.”

Many of the wrestlers on the team look to Ezekial as a model of dedication and a man who is driven to succeed. As many have said they always see him putting over a hundred percent in practice, he pushes them at practice to become better.

They would have no doubt in him if he gets a scholarship and continues his wrestling career in college. He is one of many that leads our Jerome wrestling team. Each year as new ones come and old ones go, the wrestlers always seem to become stronger as not only a team but as a family.