The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Bucks Bags Tournament Results

Jordin Myers

The Jerome Tigers baseball team was in action over the weekend as they competed in the Bucks Bags tournament on March 30 – April 1. The Tigers were scheduled to play on Thursday but due to poor weather conditions, all games were cancelled for the opening day.

The Tigers (3-6) (0-3) manage to split on the weekend, ending the tournament 2-2.

Friday

With the weather clearing up and the 15-30 mph winds blowing. The Tigers would open the tournament with the Fruitland Grizzlies. Jordin Myers started on the mound, and the tigers would be shut out as they were unable to score. Losing the game 12-0 in five innings.

Following the tough loss to the Grizzles, the Tigers would turn around to play the Vallivue Falcons. As Brandon Leal started on the bump. This time around the Tigers were able to get things rolling as they would jump out first and score 2 in the first couple innings. They would hold that lead for a bit. Until the Falcons answered back tying up the score 2-2, but Tigers wouldn’t just hand the lead to them. As they would get things rolling and score 1 run late to put them up 3-2. That would be the end score as the Tigers win that one. Leal pitched a complete game.

Saturday

After a day where weather would play a factor in how a team will play. The next day is a new day with no wind in sight. The Tigers are looking to face off against the Crescent Valley Raiders. Brayden Ahrens started the day on the bump, but the game didn’t start off the way him or even his team would have like it to. Ahrens hit the first two batters than walked the next two. At the bottom of the 1st the Raiders were able to score 5. The Tigers wouldn’t fall apart though as they would bounce back and score 5 to tie the game up. After a long fought game, the Tigers found themselves down by 1 going into the bottom of the 7th inning. They would find a way to finish the game with a W, 10-9 in a walk off fashion.

Due to the Tigers first game being cancelled, they were unable to face off against Middleton. Instead the Tigers, had to face off against the Bishop Kelley Knights. In the final game of the tournament, Brien Ploss started on the bump. The Knights put six points on the board before the Tigers would show sign of life by scoring 2. Bring the score to 6-2. From there it would be all Knights as they handed the Tigers a 12-2 loss.

As the Tigers are heading into the heavy part of playing conference games. Senior Leal said, “He thinks that offense has come a long way. Our at bats improved a lot and we are starting to get better results. At times our defense was good.” He had mentioned that the team needs to work on being consistent on the defensive side. As pitchers, they need to work on being able to strikes consistently.

The Tigers will face off against conference opponent Wood River on Wednesday, April 5 at Jerome. Then turn around and head up to Wood River to play in a double head on Thursday, April 6.