The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

FFA State Leadership Conference

Annabelle Day

The Idaho FFA State Leadership Conference was held at the College of Southern Idaho Campus in Twin Falls, April 5-8.  Through this week, blue coats swarmed the city as students attended workshops, achieved various accomplishments, and helped in deciding the future of the Idaho FFA Association.

Filer and Castleford competed in the Kimberly Alumni Association Dairy Judging Invitational and placed second and first, respectively.  Castleford’s Benjen Lilly and Eden Schilder placed sixth and second, respectively, and competed on the team alongside Julia Lilly and Carter Schilder.  For Filer, Mary Kate Marshal, Molly Jenkins, Dawn Shaw, Karsen King, and Allyson King participated with Allyson King placing fifth individually.

Filer also competed in the CSI Livestock Invitational with members Allyson King, Karsen King, Rose Davies, Marley Erickson, Sidney Capps, Brett Bartholomew, Edward Pastoor, and Beau Schenkel.  Allyson King placed tenth individually and the team placed sixth.

Kimberly competed in the State Floriculture Career Development Event (CDE) with team members Jessi Schmitz, Macy Anderson, Ivy Burgess, and Cynthia Hunt.  The team placed fifth overall.

The South Magic Valley District Creed Speaker was Karsen King from Filer, who made it to the finals and placed fourth overall.

Castleford is going to Nationals once again in the Agricultural Sales CDE.  Charlie Cornie competed in Sales A and placed second, Jade Etelu in Sales B placing first, Makaela Scott in Telephone Skills placing first, and Lindsey Drinkall in Customer Prospecting placing fourth.

Also going to Nationals is Jerome in Extemporaneous and Prepared Public Speaking Leadership Development Events (LDEs).  Cody Jackson placed first in Extemporaneous and Kaitlin Mirkin placed first in Prepared.

Castleford placed second in the state in the Scrapbook Division 2.

Two of Hansen’s members, Matt Friel and Katie Hughes, partook in the First Jacket Ceremony, getting to put on their own FFA corduroy jackets for the first time in front of the State on stage.

From Jerome, three students received scholarships through FFA.  Gretchen Hansten was the recipient of the Idaho Growers Shippers Association $1,000 Post-Secondary Scholarship and KayLee Day received the United Dairymen of Idaho $1,500 Post-Secondary Scholarship.  Alyssa Hansten got the Dwaine Tesnohlidek WLC Scholarship to attend the Washington Leadership Conference this summer in Washington, D.C.

Also celebrated at SLC was the State Degree recipients who had successfully passed a written knowledge FFA test and completed the necessary requirements in their Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAEs), an out-of-class agriculturally related project. The recipients for the South Magic Valley District were, from Castleford, Abigale Hale and Lindsey Drinkall; from Filer, Jakob Esson, Sadie Hurley, Molly Jenkins, Alysha Kelly, Allyson King, Kaden Scott, and Dawson Wolf; from Jerome, Cody Jackson and Annabelle Day; and from Kimberly, Janessa Kluth and Cash Calhoun.

The Honorary State Degree is awarded to those who have helped in substantial ways in furthering FFA and Agricultural Education.  Murtaugh’s Superintendent Michele Capps received this award.

Janessa Kluth from Kimberly received the State Star in Agriscience for her SAE.  She will be going to Nationals to represent Idaho.

Delegates from the chapters attended meetings to discuss the various motions presented by each district to be passed.  Jade Etelu from Castleford chaired the issue of 8th grade members becoming full members and all restrictions being removed.  This motion was rejected, 42 voting in the affirmative and 58 in the negative.  The delegates for the South Magic Valley District were, from Filer, Don Shaw, Jakob Esson, Alysha Kelly, and Sadie Hurley; from Hansen, Matt Friel and Katie Hughes; from Jerome, Cody Gillmore and ShaeLee Scarrow; from Kimberly, Kyle Russell and Paydon Morrissey; from Murtaugh, Litzy Gomez and Ashley Vazquez; and from Twin Falls, Gavin Pesek and Tate Bremers.

On Friday, most of the attendees to the conference attended the dance which served as a fundraiser for the Buhl FFA chapter.  Tickets were $5 per person and over 650 students went to the dance, raising over $3,000.

Throughout the week of SLC, a nomination committee sifted through a variety of candidates for State Officers.  J.T. Christensen of Twin Falls served on the nominating committee for the South Magic Valley District, and Lindsey Drinkall from Castleford ran for office.

The State Officer team that retired during the conference had two members from the South Magic Valley District: MaKenna Routt of Castleford and Gretchen Hansten of Jerome.  Both gave retiring addresses, motivating the members to be who they are and to push forward to achieve their dreams.