The Roaring Times

Jerome vs. Minico

Antonia Gutierrez

RUPERT- Girl’s JV Tigers beat the Spartans 3-1 in a conference game on September 20. Junior Rhianna Vera and sophomore Ana Anaya were the two goal scorers.

The game started with Minico kicking off. Throughout the game both Jerome and Minico had shots on goal. The first goal was for Jerome. It came from a free kick taken by defensive player Vera.

“Cristal was like no pressure. Nice and easy, and I’m like alright and then the guy behind me was like no pressure you won’t make it and I said ‘If I made it in life I can make this goal.’ I saw the ball go over the goalie and I felt like I was about to die. I cried. Tears came out of my eyes. I just couldn’t believe it,” said Vera after her goal.

Coach Wesley Hall said, “Rhianna Vera’s free kick was a showcase for her strong leg and confidence to try for a direct score.”

After Vera’s goal, Minico kept fighting to score, but they didn’t manage to score until the second half. During the second half, both teams fought for the ball. Jerome had two good plays that lead to goals by Anaya.

“Ana Anaya’s goals came from great passes from teammates that she muscled through the defense for one on one opportunities with the goalie,” said Hall.

Towards the end of the game, a foul was committed inside the penalty box, and Minico was awarded a penalty kick, which changed the score to 3-1.

“The JV girl’s soccer team is doing wonderful. The team’s performance against Minico showed confidence in abilities. The goals made by our team were from determination. We played well with many players rising to the occasion to play their best,” said Coach Hall.

Even with many substitutions throughout the game, the JV team stayed as a team understanding each other’s tasks in the game.

Jerome’s next game will be against Burley on September 27.