The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Who is Tim Dunne?

Makali Nance

Jerome’s Track was named after Tim Dunne a few years ago. Although many upcoming generations, don’t know who this great man is.  In honor of the Tim Dunne meet this Friday, March 31, 2017, we would like to share a short background about Coach Dunne.

Tim Dunne is a man who grew up in a sports environment. He participated in track and cross-country. Dunne won many state titles as a cross-country and track coach. He won 27 state championships, including ten straight cross-country titles and six straight track titles.

Ken Nordquist, track and cross-country coach who was here with Dunne, said, “The Tim Dunne invitational is named in honor of a long time teacher and coach here at Jerome High School. Tim was dedicated and beloved for his role here for 34 years from 1969 until his retirement in 2003. In his own eyes, he thought of himself as a teacher first and coach second which highlights the importance he placed on academics first and also believes the fact that his students really loved his classes. His record as a coach is truly remarkable.”

Dunne had a passion for teaching and coaching. Although back in his day, he was a star athlete.

As Nordquist continued, “He was the first Idaho High School-er to break 50’s in the 440-yard dash (a bit longer than a 400m) and was a State record holder and champion in that event for Boise High in the mid-60’s. He went on to become a record setter and champion in the 440 at ISU where he was inducted into their hall of fame. He has also been inducted into the IHSAA hall of fame and continues to lend his expertise and support to the sport of track and field in attending various track meets around the state.”

In the years he’s taught, he has impacted many lives, whether in the classroom or on the track. Tim Dunne is a man who was driven.

Eventually, Dunne decided he wanted to spend more time with his family. He moved back to Cambridge, Idaho where he and his wife spend time with their grandchildren.  They also fish.

Most importantly, Tim Dunne was inducted into the IHSAA Hall of Fame.  He was truly a mentor at Jerome High School as a teacher and coach.