The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Burley Tournament

Marita Avery

BURLEY – On Tuesday April 4th the Jerome golf team had a low scoring round and some not so low scoring.

Each member of the team shot to the best of their ability without a driving range or a chipping green to practice on before the horn sounded.

There was a frost delay making it so that the tournament didn’t start until between 10:15 and 10:30 even though it was originally scheduled for 10:00.

The players that attended this tournament were, Senior Corbin Miller, Junior Alex Dilucca, Junior Wyatt DeWitt, Junior Mason Harper, and Freshman Carlos Rivera for the boys. Then Senior Marita Avery, and Sophomore Bailey Miller for the girls.

The tournament was a district tournament with Canyon Ridge, Twin, Jerome, Minico, and Burley all playing.

Each player improved their scores by more than 5 shots from the last time that they played at Burley. Assistant coach McKinsey Rodrigues said, “We are in a building year for the team, so it is all relative to say that we had a good tournament or not. As a coach I would say that we would have a lot of improvement and growing to do as golfers. As individual players go we had a good day.”

Richard Burke mentioned that the team did better than the last burley tournament and each player improved their round. Each player either improved and some are close to having a chance of going to the state tournament.

Rodrigues also said, “It is difficult to compare two different course’s tournaments because there are too many variables, so let’s compare from the first time we played at Burley. On average most kids improved their overall score by about 4 strokes. It is easy to tell which kids are really working on their game and which ones are not.”

Each player had an individual score with a team score if there were enough players.

For the boys Corbin Miller shot an 89, Dilucca shot a 79, DeWitt shot a 103, Harper shot a 93, and Rivera shot a 103. The team score was a total of 362.

For the girls Avery shot a 112, and Bayley Miller shot a 101. No team score for them.

The girls next tournament is on Monday, April 10 in Buhl, and the boys next tournament is on Tuesday, April 11 in Pocatello.