The student news site of Jerome High School

The Roaring Times

Brooks visits JHS

Celeste Kissinger

Dr. Patrick Books, Band Director and Professor of Music at Idaho State University, came to Jerome High School on April 13th. Dr. Brooks is a very accomplished man, having performed in the Sun Valley Summer Symphony for eighteen years. He also played with the Grand Music Festival Orchestra, the Wichita Symphony Orchestra, the Portneuf Brass, and is principal trombone in the Idaho State Civic Symphony Orchestra.

Hiroshi Fukuoka, Director of the Jerome High School band, said, “It gives me a chance to closely observe students from different angle, other directors hear things differently than I do, so they find things that I have overlooked or did not hear. I bring in well-respected music directors that know more about music/band than I do to learn how they work with the same group of students, and it gives students faces to names when looking at furthering their education after high school and vice versa.”

Fukuoka started the class by leading the kids in their routinely warm up exercises. He then introduced Dr. Brooks to the class. Brooks told the class a bit about himself, saying that band was always his favorite thing in high school, and how now he has amazing students. He loves Idaho because Illinois (where he used to live) is flat, but Idaho has a lot of mountains and a certain life to it. He told the class he played trombone, and that he is picking up guitar.

Dr. Brooks said, “I liked to get out of my job and to see what’s happening in other areas. I’m just a big band geek. I don’t think the importance of music and the arts, and I’d say even recess, I don’t think the importance of these things in our lives are accounted for.” He also said, “I’ve been to a lot of high schools and not many play this good, even bigger schools.”