The Roaring Times

Filed under Showcase, Trends

Fans Outraged on Grammy’s Snubbed & 60th Grammy Nominations

As Christmas time nears us, so does one of the most talked about award shows of the music industry.

Towards the end of November, the Recording Academy released the 60th Grammy nominations list, via Twitter. (@RecordingAcad) In a matter of minutes, the public was buzzing with excitement, or for some, disappointment.

All over social media platforms, forms of congratulations were sent out for those graced with a spot in the nominations list. Endless tweets were directed towards congratulating rappers Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, and Bruno Mars on having the most nominations of 2017.

Jay- Z came in with the most nominations in 8 categories, Including Record of the Year (Story of O.J), Album of the Year (4:44), and Best Rap Performance (4:44). Coming in second with nominations totaling to an impressive 7 was Kendrick Lamar, a few being for Best Music Video (Humble), Best Rap Album (Damn), & Best Rap Song (Humble). Not too far behind with 6 nominations comes Bruno Mars. We’ve all experienced jumping into the car on the way to school or work and hearing That’s What I Like playing on the radio, so it’s no surprised it was nominated for Song of the Year, along with Record of the year for 24k Magic, Album of the Year, and Best R&B performance.

Lorde fans were absolutely buzzing at the release of the nomination list. Lorde’s album, Melodrama, released in early June, was the perfect blend of moody, exciting, and intimate. It was a major hit amongst the public, which obviously didn’t go unnoticed as it was nominated for Album of the Year, being the only female in the category as she goes against Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, Donald Glover, and Bruno Mars.

As Lorde’s fanbase celebrates Melodrama being nominated to one of the most important categories of the show, others were not so happy about some of the nominations. Fans took it to social media to address their disbelief with tweet like “THE GRAMMYS ARE CANCELLED THROW THE WHOLE GRAMMYS AWAY.”

The public was furious at the notice of Ed Sheeran being snubbed from an Album of the Year nomination. Divide is the second top album behind Taylor Swift’s Reputation. Castle on the Hill and Shape of You being hits on the charts, it’s just not connecting how they let Divide slip by! Ed took the snub like a champ, quoting “Maybe this year isn’t my year.” Trust me Ed, it was! Now, Ed Sheeran not being nominated for Album of the Year is not the only thing leaving people stunned.

Former member of One Direction Harry Styles knocked people off their feet with his self-titled album. Styles’ album hit the charts in early May, leaving the public amazed by the change of style in his new music. The album gives a classic rock and roll vibe with a mix of modern pop. It was a major kick start to Styles’ solo career. We get it, it’s got to be quite the album for Styles to be awarded a Grammy his first year of going solo, but that is not what has the fans all riled up. The Grammys showed their support for the self-titled album on multiple occasions, even putting him in promos, so when the list of nominees came out without a single trace of Harry Styles, let’s just say it got a little hectic. There’s always next year lads!

The 60th Annual Grammy Awards will be aired January 28, 2018 in Madison Square Garden. Welcome the new year and tune in to check out the winners!