The Roaring Times

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls Basketball Season Review

The season that many girls at Jerome High School are excited about when the fall sports are over is basketball. It was a long journey that had many ups and downs, but overall the girls had a strong season.
This season they played two games against teams out of state. They were able to beat Elko 44 to 31. The second game versus Logan was a tougher game for the girls taking a loss by 13 points.
Other than the games they played out of state, they played many games in their conference where the scores varied. They were able to beat Wood River every time they faced them, which was four times. The first game they played against them was a win by two points. The next three times the Tigers were able to beat them by up to twenty points.

They had tougher matches versus Burley, Twin Falls and Canyon Ridge. The first times they played versus Canyon Ridge they were able to beat them by seven points. After this they lost against them and the other two teams with different scores that varied.
Not only did they play with teams from there conference but also with teams like Pocatello and Coeur d’Alene, who are 5A teams. The first time the Tigers played against Pocatello they were just beginning their season and they were finding the rhythm of their game. It was a neck and neck game where one team would score and would be winning the other team by one point, keeping everybody on the edge of their seats. At the end of the night Pocatello took the win over the Tigers by one point. On the game versus Coeur d’Alene the same thing happened again: the game was a very close one, but the Tigers once again lost by one point.

Once the district competition came, they had gone through that rocky season, and they were ready for the next challenges. Their first game was against Wood River. The Tigers were able to beat the Wood River Wolverines 59 to 42, making the Tigers go to the next game. In their second game they faced the Minico Spartans, where they lost 42 to 49. This made them move to the losers bracket where they could still have the opportunity to go to state. They played once more with Wood River and won 62 to 39. They went on to their fourth game where they faced the Twin Falls Bruins and lost, making it the last game of the season.

Although they had a difficult trip during the conference games, they were able to make it far in districts. They are losing half of their team, since many of them are seniors, but not all is lost. The other half of the team is made up of sophomores. They have the experience and will be able to use it for the next two years.