The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

Dude, Be Nice

In honor of Valentine’s Day, Jerome High School had “Dude Be Nice” Week. This was the first time in a very long time that JHS decided to do something to bring the whole school together. Throughout the week, everyone was encouraged to write someone a compliment. The office would be delivering those during the whole week. The class that wrote the most compliments would get out 10 minutes earlier for lunch.

There were also dress up days. On Monday, everyone was told to wear black. Tuesday was “Put Yourself in Someone Else’s Shoes,” so the students were encouraged to dress up as their friends, teachers, or even a celebrity. On Wednesday, which was also Valentine’s Day, the school dressed up in red and pink. Thursday, students could have dressed up in summer or winter clothes. Friday, as always, was “Once a Tiger, Always a Tiger”.

Apart from dress up days, there were some pretty significant events that are worth noting. Senior James Dilworth was giving out roses to people he thought needed it. When asked why he was doing this he responded by saying that he felt there were certain people that needed it. Statistics have shown that Valentine’s Day has a very high suicide rate. He didn’t want anyone to be sad that day so he did a little gesture.

On another note, Mr. Van Orden was recognized as JHS’ nicest teacher. He was very surprised, as he said that he thought Mrs. Sobotka would win. “Dude Be Nice” Week was a success and hopefully everyone is still in that nice mood.