The Roaring Times

Filed under Club Corner, Showcase

Latinos in Action Parent’s Night

Tuesday night, Latinos in Action had Parent’s Night. They had been planning this for over a month and they had a huge turnout. More than 100 parents and other students joined the event. One of the main reasons for the event was to show parents and other members of the community what Latinos in Action deos for the community and for its members. The great thing about that event was that it was all bilingual.

Latinos in Action was started at the high school in 2010. It was originally founded in 2001 by Dr. Jose Enriquez. The main purpose of Latinos in Action is to create leaders in the community and help with post secondary education. LIA members do a lot of community service and are required a minimum of 50 hours per semester. Most of their hours come from tutoring at the elementary schools every Tuesday and Thursday. Latinos in Action is also considered as some people’s “second family away from home,” as Treasurer Scooby Escobedo explained that night.

There were many different speakers at the event. Many members of LIA gave their testimonies of how Latinos in Action was changing their lives, including President Fatima Marisal and Vice President Kelly Damian. Some of the middle school members also gave testimonies. There were plenty of members that said that their first thought about LIA was that it was an easy A, and that’s a bad reputation that Latinos in Action has. They later explained that LIA helped them be better people and open up to new things like talking in front of people.

Past LIA members were also there to talk about how Latinos in Action had helped them during their time in high school. College counselors were also there to talk to parents about what they could do to help their kids out.

“Overall I believe it was a very successful night. There were more parents than I expected. All of the parents were very interested in everything that was talked about. I believe parents got a lot of good info on LIA and also with the counselors. They were able to learn a lot and also believe that they have more reasons why they should support LIA and their students,” said Mariscal.

Up until this past semester, JHS was the only high school in Idaho that had LIA. It is currently spreading to Wendell High School and Gooding High School. It also spread to our middle school. There has also been talk about Latinos in Action being a Dual Credit class next year. It would count as a leadership credit and would be able to transfer to any college in the U.S.

Latinos in Action is always looking for new members. Applications will soon be available for new members to join.