The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

90th Academy Awards Highlights

As award season buzz dies down, we end it with a bang, acknowledging the masterminds that are behind making some of the best films of 2017 and 2018 with the 90th anniversary of the Academy Awards, AKA The Oscars.

The night started off with amazing appearances on the red carpet, which was filled with stunning gowns, couples, and Timotheé Chalamet walking down with his mother, which made all our hearts swoon. Starting with a personal favorite look, Olympic figure skater Adam Rippon sported a tuxedo, adding harness detailing to his shirt for that dramatic edgy look, definitely winning gold. Wonder Woman’s Gal Gadot’s gown was definitely a head-turner, as she stepped out wearing more than a thousand diamonds on her Givenchy gown “Blue Ice”. Power couples ruled the carpet throughout the night as well. Ansel Elgort and girlfriend, Violetta Komyshan, stepped out in matching night-black Tom Ford outfits. Call Me by Your Name star Armie Hammer was sporting a velvet Giorgio Armani and Montblanc cufflinks, turning heads with wife Elizabeth Chambers. We also had an abundance of the biggest fanboy out in the carpet, Timotheé Chalamet, in an all-white Berluti suit. The 21 year-old walked through in company of his mother, as he was also surprised with a video congratulations from his former teacher at LaGuardia High School, Mr. Shirtman. I think it’s safe to say he lost his cool in that moment.

The night went on with the performances of all the artists nominated for Best Original Song. Mary J Blige was the first to perform her song “Mighty River” from Mudbound.  She gave an emotional performance with powerful vocals, and a group of gospel singers to form the back. Sufjan Stevens performed “Mystery of Love”  from Call Me by Your Name. He performed his song in acoustics, giving it that extra nostalgic tone of a first love. The winners of the category, Miguel and Natalia LaFourcade, performed Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez’s song,   “ Remember Me” from Coco, giving an amazing performance locked with Latin dancers and visuals of vivid colors.  Diane Warren’s song performed by Andra Day,  “Stand Up for Something”  from Marshall,  got the audience to their feet in applause with its strong words. “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman  by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, was performed by Keala Settle as the last song, where she also got a standing ovation from the crowd.

Many outstanding films were acknowledged, such as Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, Call Me by Your Name, and many other films. Dunkirk got multiple Oscars, including Best Sound Mixing and Best Film Editing. The director of The Shape of Water, Guillermo Del Toro, received an Oscar for Best Director. The Shape of Water also got Oscars for Best Picture, Best Original Music Score, and Best Production Design. Call Me by Your Name won an Oscar for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay. James Ivory received the award with an eye-catching shirt painted as the face of the star of the movie, Timotheé Chalamet.

Award season may have come to a close, yet that only leaves more room for more amazing movies and music to come. Keep ears and eyes out for some juicy entertainment and we’ll see you next season!