The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

Never Again

One word, one phrase, one voice, one person; that is all it takes to start something so big that there is no stop to it. This is how the Never Again movement began. Various students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida want and need a change.

On February 14th of this year, 19 year-old Nikolas Cruz went into his old high school with an AR-15 and began shooting at anything and anybody for ten minutes. In those ten minutes he was able to kill 17 people, both students and teachers. The school had a population of about three thousand students. All these students lost a close friend, someone who they looked up to, or even just someone that they would bump into from time to time in the hallways. However, not only did they lose people, but many of them are scared, traumatized, and sad. But there is one feeling that exists in them that is making them stronger and making them look for a change. Anger.

Many students that witnessed this shooting and lost a friend are done with the little gun control that exists. One student who was at the school during the shooting began to post updates on his social media accounts of how he was doing, students who were missing or that had been found, but there was one post that stuck: “Never Again”.

He and fellow classmates who had been speaking out and looking for ways to get their word out to the world brought their ideas together and began to look for a change. Four students with the support of their parents was all it took for them to start this movement. They began by create Facebook pages to advertise and support this movement. They also talked at funerals with reporters and little by little began to get recognition of their movement and what they want. They began to go to rallies and do their own rallies to express the fact that they want more gun control laws.

They organized a trip to the capitol of Florida, Tallahassee. They took two buses filled with students and 15 chaperones. The purpose of this was to get together with legislatures and to tell them what their experience was during the shooting and why there should be a stricter gun laws.

Not only have they talked to legislatures, some of the main organizers of the movement have gone to different parts of the country to talk with television reporters, legislatures and people to help get their movement to become a nationwide movement.

The movement has been clear, it is not about taking guns away from people. It is to stop more people from being killed and for another school shooting to Never Again happen.