The Roaring Times

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Tennis Season Review

Tennis, one of the favorite sports for students at Jerome High School. It was a tough season for the tigers but they fought through it.

The first match that they had was versus Pocatello. They played a hard game and were able to beat the Pocatello Indians. After their first game they had a rocky journey by winning and losing various matches.

They also had to two tournaments. Their first tournament was in Eastern Idaho. It was a great way for the team to get more practice with different division schools and to test out different competition. However half way through the tournament it began to rain and the rest of the tournament was cancelled. The second tournament was their Capitol tournament in Boise. They were their for two days and got to play a round robin of fast force with different schools from neighboring states and the state of Idaho.

Some of the outstanding performances from the team were the number one boys doubles, up until the point that Anthony Licano got hurt while ripsticking with his brother in the canyon. Another performance that was great was from Kobe Yost who was the number one boys singles until Canyon Cartisser came back.  Also another person who stepped up to take responsibility of the team was Jaileen Arevalo, who has been playing since freshman year. As her senior year she was given the responsibility of being varsity team captain and also the person who her teammates could go to.

Jaileen Arevalo’s last words before she leaves JHS and gives her captain position to someone are, “Our tennis season was very amazing, everybody worked very hard. This is the one year that I really saw everybody work hard and push themselves to get to where they were, even though we had a rocky season. I am so proud of everyone and I am going to miss everyone on the team when I leave. I hope that next year everybody pushes themselves to be the best that they can be.”