The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

Homecoming Assembly

Homecoming is always a nice time. Its a day where students don’t have class, but instead go to an assembly for four hours.

The Homecoming Assembly, as with most assemblies, started with a peppy introduction from the band as well as the dance and cheer teams. After a welcome speel, Mr. Burton introduced Homecoming Royalty, which entered under an arch of pom poms. Maxine Bell, the special guest speaker for 2018, then spoke about her hope for the future and the potential everyone had in them. Reception of her was in general good, as students reported her as “boring”, but others thought she was “adorable” and “inspiring”, especially enjoying her anecdote about being Burton’s aunt.

Multiple sports teams were introduced, including both soccer teams, the volleyball team, cross country and the men-of-the-hour football team. Swim team was introduced with gratitude for becoming an official team rather than a club.

Games, as always, are a big part of assemblies in Jerome. The first game was two rounds of an intense version of quad ball that had even the stands getting loud. Magic carpet was the next game, which ended inconclusively as everyone cheated. Seniors dominated the second last game of the day, office tennis, but conclusively cheated on the last, pass the banana .  

Crossing Bridges continued the tradition of dancing a cultural dance. The common chaos that descended when a lot of people are on the gym floor dancing took the crowd after the club tried to have a competition with a modern line dance called Payaso de Rodeo.

Two good causes were present on the day; French club announced their fundraiser sale to help battling Senior Ana Lopez. Miracle minute was a quick challenge for each class to put coins in a jar for Make-a-Wish.

The entertainment part of the assembly was phenomenal. Both the dance and cheer teams put on an exciting performance for the stands as usual, but the Powderpuff dancers stole the show. Their reversed gendered hilarity has definitely put a smile on many faces and has become a staple of homecoming for Jerome.

Despite the games, dancing, and inspiration, it turned out on a confused note. After having the rules of the parade explained to them by Mr. Monroe, students believed the assembly to be over. However, the tiger pride cheer leading had yet to happen as planned. Students were sent back to their seats and the cheer continued, though more lackluster than optimal.

Overall, the Tiger Homecoming assembly was normal for most. It was a chance to get to know the teams, be inspired, and have some fun with tiger pride.