The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

Homecoming Assembly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Assembly

Homecoming is always a nice time. Its a day where students don’t have class, but instead go to an assembly for four hours.

The Homecoming Assembly, as with most assemblies, started with a peppy introduction from the band as well as the dance and cheer teams. After a welcome speel, Mr. Burton introduced Homecoming Royalty, which entered under an arch of pom poms. Maxine Bell, the special guest speaker for 2018, then spoke about her hope for the future and the potential everyone had in them. Reception of her was in general good, as students reported her as “boring”, but others thought she was “adorable” and “inspiring”, especially enjoying her anecdote about being Burton’s aunt.

Multiple sports teams were introduced, including both soccer teams, the volleyball team, cross country and the men-of-the-hour football team. Swim team was introduced with gratitude for becoming an official team rather than a club.

Games, as always, are a big part of assemblies in Jerome. The first game was two rounds of an intense version of quad ball that had even the stands getting loud. Magic carpet was the next game, which ended inconclusively as everyone cheated. Seniors dominated the second last game of the day, office tennis, but conclusively cheated on the last, pass the banana .  

Crossing Bridges continued the tradition of dancing a cultural dance. The common chaos that descended when a lot of people are on the gym floor dancing took the crowd after the club tried to have a competition with a modern line dance called Payaso de Rodeo.

Two good causes were present on the day; French club announced their fundraiser sale to help battling Senior Ana Lopez. Miracle minute was a quick challenge for each class to put coins in a jar for Make-a-Wish.

The entertainment part of the assembly was phenomenal. Both the dance and cheer teams put on an exciting performance for the stands as usual, but the Powderpuff dancers stole the show. Their reversed gendered hilarity has definitely put a smile on many faces and has become a staple of homecoming for Jerome.

Despite the games, dancing, and inspiration, it turned out on a confused note. After having the rules of the parade explained to them by Mr. Monroe, students believed the assembly to be over. However, the tiger pride cheer leading had yet to happen as planned. Students were sent back to their seats and the cheer continued, though more lackluster than optimal.

Overall, the Tiger Homecoming assembly was normal for most. It was a chance to get to know the teams, be inspired, and have some fun with tiger pride.

1 Comment

One Response to “Homecoming Assembly”

1. Scott Burton on October 31st, 2018 8:00 pm

Although I appreciate personal opinion, I don’t believe that we should embrace any negativity regarding our assemblies. Perhaps some thought the speaker was boring (which I disagree, I thought she was great) but that kind of comment should NEVER EVER be said in an unbiased news article…..especially, when that article is passed to the North Side Journal to publish. Imagine what our guest speaker thought when she read this; it’s negative and disrespectful to the person who gave their time to address our student body. Secondly, I believe that the tone needs to remain positive. Sure, the end of the assembly had some confusion but why include that in the article? Our writers are ambassadors of our school and should promote our events as such. There is always negativity to be found and you don’t have to look very hard to find it. Let’s try to keep things positive and fun and remember that people (guest speakers and community) are going to take interest in what is written.
    That said, I love our young writers and their willingness to learn the journalism trade. Hopefully, this review will aid with the writing maturation and help hone their skills even further. Please don’t stop writing and remember that with these types of articles, promoting our school and the wonderful things that happen within its walls should take precedence over everything else.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Homecoming Assembly

Club Corner

French Club Announces Winter Ball

• Club Corner

National Honor Society Induction

• Homecoming Assembly

News

Jerome Girls Basketball Season Kickoff

• News

12 people shot and killed by an Ex- Marine in Southern California

• Homecoming Assembly

News

Idaho Elections

• Club Corner

Clubs You Might Not Know About III

• Homecoming Assembly

Club Corner

Night Of Scenes

• Homecoming Assembly

Bilingual

Lanzarle un Beso a Ana

• Homecoming Assembly

Bilingual

Blow A Kiss to Ana

• Homecoming Assembly

News

Last Fall Goodbye

The student news site of Jerome High School
Homecoming Assembly