The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

Idaho Elections

Tuesday November 6 was the 2019 elections. On the national level, it was one of the most important midterms in America’s history, as the fate of congress was held in the balance. For Idaho though, superintendent and the Governor, as well as less contested roles, were the offices on the line.

Republican Brad Little beat Democrat Paulette Jordan  sixty to forty percent thanks to Idaho’s consistency as a red state. Jordan did, however, take four counties including the largest county of Ada. If she had become the Governor, Jordan would have become the first female Native American to be Governor of a state (NY Times).

Lieutenant Governor resulted in Republican Janice McGeachin winning about ten percent of the vote over Democratic rival Kristin Collum. This marks the first time a woman has become Lt. Governor.

It was the election for Lawrences as both Lawrence Denney and Lawrence Wasden reatined their positions of Secretary of state and Attorney General, respectively.

The closest race of the night was for Idaho Superintendent of Schools. Incumbent Republican Sherri Ybarra narrowly beat Democrat Cindy Wilson. Cindy Wilson was a government teacher before her campaign for superintendent began, and many, including the richest man in Idaho, were supporting a Democrat for the first time (Idaho Statesman).

Proposition 1, to reinstate historical horse racing machines in order to supplement gambling in horse races, failed to pass by a small margin.  Prop 2 expanded the amount the state receives to help pay for medicaid in order to cover the gap the initial Obamacare plan missed. It passed with just over sixty percent of the vote. (Idaho Statesman).