The Roaring Times

Filed under News, Showcase

12 people shot and killed by an Ex- Marine in Southern California

This past Wednesday, November 7th, 2018, a tragedy occurred. In a bar in southern California, in a town named Thousand Oaks, 12 people were killed by a Ex- Marine, who has been identified as 28 year- old Ian David Long.

Mr. Long was a former Machine Gunner and an Combat Officer/ Veteran in Afghanistan, with a record with law enforcement for having previous episodes of PTSD, or post traumatic stress disorder. He was a man who was said to have needed professional help, but never got it. It seems these are the repercussions.

At the Country Music Festival in Thousand Oaks, California, 12 people were killed and more than 22 were sent to  various hospitals. Victims reported breaking the windows with chairs to get out as well as hiding in the bathrooms. Many reported their lives were potentially saved by total strangers. BBC- News.com had this to report, “One witness, Teylor Whittler, who was celebrating her 21st birthday, said: “I was on the dance floor and I heard the gunshots, so I looked back and then all of a sudden everyone screamed: ‘Get Down!’…”It was a huge panic, everyone got up, I was trampled, I was kind of left on the floor until some guy came behind me and grabbed me and dragged me out.”

After police showed and surrounded the area, the Suspect was thought to have shot himself.

To make matters worse, this is only a year after the horrible shooting in Las Vegas at a country music festival were 48 people were killed. Some of the Victims of the Las Vegas shooting where, in fact, at this shooting as well. One was counted among the dead.

Police don’t know the motive, but it was reported that Mr. Long has first shot the bouncer than had forced himself in before shooting and killing other employees before shooting civilians. He was reported to have used a legally bought .45 caliber  Glock Semi- Automatic Handgun.

Was this a Flashback of the horrible war Ian Long had fought in, or a crazed episode that he woke up from at the last minute and killed himself out of Guilt? No one know, but we know many people were hurt, or worse killed. All we can do is keep them in our hearts and minds, and grieve for those lost.