The Roaring Times

National Honor Society Induction

The National Honor Society here at JHS just recently had their student induction for this year. The club coordinator, Sonja Humphries, put together another lovely display to make the new inductees feel welcome and comfortable in the Jerome High School library where the ceremony took place. Mrs. Humphries estimated roughly 39 inductees for this years NHS induction ceremony.The ceremony itself only lasted two hours, but it was long enough for the inductees to know the expectations and guidelines set for each of the NHS participants.

During the induction their was the guest speaker Maxine Bell that came to share a little about her testimony to help encourage the generation that sat before her. She talked about her past and what lead her to be the outstanding, intelligent, and caring woman she is today. From when she was a girl to this very day and why she has so much joy in what she does, encouraging and inspiring the younger generation. Little did she know of how her story would touch the hearts of her listeners and drive them to do much greater things in their futures. In addition, none other than Jerome High School’s vice principal Josh Evans also gave a small speech to help inspire the NHS inductees. He shared a particularly intriguing story involving his childhood and a certain secret he had kept for years until he had came clean to his mother as a young adult, he explained. The story, though light hearted and humorous, had an underlying meaning that was easily conveyed to help the students better understand that they have a choice. A choice to do the right thing and the choice to do something greater.

The first meeting of the year occurred in the library meeting room about a week after the induction. That is when they created their ballot for their elected officers, which are still to be determined. Once a small group of misfits made into a large society of honors, these NHS members are in for a year where they can make a different in their school as well as their society and be recognized for it. With the guidance of Mrs. Humphries and the club president, Kallee Ellsworth, this looks to be a promising year for the student participants of Jerome High’s National Honor Society.