The Roaring Times

Captain Marvel Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Captain Marvel Review

Ever since the first Iron Man movie came out in 2008 I have been following the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) very closely. I’ve seen every movie on the big screen, and have watched this standalone movie from 2008 grow and develop into the superpower the MCU is today. However, the release of Avengers: Infinity War made one thing clear; the MCU we know and love is coming to an end. Marvel has just begun Phase 3, which will bring along a whole new slate of superheroes and storylines. Captain Marvel, the first installment of Phase 3, has lain the groundwork for what’s to come in the MCU, and personally, I like what I see. (No Spoilers)

Captain Marvel is very different from any MCU movie we’ve seen so far. It starts in a place called Hala, capital of the Kree civilization (think of them as space police), for which Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) is one of the top agents. The Kree are in the midst of a war with the skrulls, a race of shapeshifters, and it follows Captain Marvel, or Vers as she is known on Hala, as she struggles with her hotheadedness and flashbacks that hint towards something important from her past. These flashbacks continue over the course of the movie, along with her internal struggle of who she is and what role she’s meant to play in the war.

Overall, Captain Marvel was a very solid film. It’s got a good story, great fight scenes, and plenty of 90’s nostalgia (for those of you who are into that sort of thing.) It also features superb acting, and great chemistry among the cast. I did, however, leave the theater wanting a bit more. The movie fails to go into a lot of depth regarding the kree/skrull war, and I still feel like Captain Marvel as a person has a bit more to prove. Most of her strength is still a rumor, and we’re still trusting that she’s that powerful even after seeing her in the movie. Will she be strong enough to take down Thanos and bring everybody who was incinerated back to life? That much remains to be seen. Captain Marvel is very new and different from any other MCU movie out there, and might take some getting used to for a lot of people. But I’m optimistic, and believe that Marvel is onto bigger and better things as a franchise. ⅘ stars.