Dress Code at JHS: Is it Sexiest?

Dress Code at JHS: Is it Sexiest?

Jerome High School- You could have many different opinions on dress codes at schools. If you’re a male you could not care about the dress code but if you’re a girl you could care very much about it. Girls and boys would have a different opinion on dress code because it is enforced more on girls than on boys. While girls can’t have holes on their pants above their knees boys can wear holes all over their clothes some to the point you can see their boxers through. Yet nothing is said but if a girl has a small hole above their knee they have to go out of their way to go get tape or change because it’s “inappropriate.”

We come to school to learn but our learning time is cut because of something on our clothes. Since the beginning of time girls have been told what to wear. At a very young age we start school our bodies are sexualized and are told all the things we are and are not allowed to wear. We live in a society where we are told what to wear before we learn our abc’s. We are told our shoulders are “distracting” but who are we distracting with our shoulders?  The system they use for dress code is a faulty system.

They have dancers and cheerleader uniforms which can be very short which is passed off because it’s a uniform but you can get in trouble for a hole in your jeans.  We interviewed Mr. Evans at Jerome High school and asked what his opinions on dress code are and he said, “dresscode is a very touchy discussion, it causes me a lot of work. Dress code causes a lot of frustration between both students and teachers. There are about 3,000 students and only about 65 adults in the school. So it brings frustration to students because you could only see them breaking the dress code but then they see multiple other students who didn’t get dress coded walking around. It makes me frustrated because I have to be the one to tell them to go change or put tape over them.” We asked him if the dress code pushed more on girls than boys he says, “ When it comes to holes in the jeans or short shorts you see more girls breaking that rule. When it comes to hats, sunglasses, chains and bandanas you definitely see boys breaking that rule. So it really depends on what you are talking about because there are different things that boys and girls break the rules on.”

Student at Jerome High School Natalie Parada says, “I definitely think that the dress code is pushed on girls more than boys. When I walk around I see more girls getting looked at for dress code while the boys don’t even get looked at. It doesn’t seem fair to use that even when it’s the tiniest hole on your thigh you have to go out of your way to go to the office and get tape to cover it up. I come to school to get an education but when I have to cut class time for a small hole in my jeans it wastes my time.”