Soccer Popularity Rising in High Schools?

Soccer has become one of the most popular sports in high school. Mainly because this sport is so inexpensive unlike other sports where you need to spend loads of money on equipment. To play soccer all that really is needed is a pair of soccer cleats, a ball, jersey, shorts and shin guards. Typically these items tend to not be too overpriced. Soccer is an internationally played sport millions of people across the world enjoy playing or even watching. Soccer is easily convenient and can basically be played anywhere at any time. 

Article, “17 Reasons Why Soccer is the Most Popular Sport in the World,” states, “As a child, Andres Chanis grew up playing soccer with anything visible he could find, sometimes cans, or even plastic bottles were used as a ball.” Chanis said, “ The great thing is that we used to play anywhere we had space: in the streets, in the school’s recess, in an empty lot.” In the article Chanis Said, he remembers watching a video of children in Africa making their own little game of soccer. Seeing how they used their imaginations to make their own game made him feel so proud. 

To many, soccer may seem as a difficult sport to learn about, but it is actually fairly easy to learn. The main goal is to kick the ball into the other opponents net as many times as possible before the 90 minutes is up. This sport is known to be visually appealing to many soccer fans. The bright green freshly cut grass, the excitement and emotions of the crowd whenever their teams make a goal. What makes this sport better is that anyone can play this sport both men and women are able to play. It is usually uncommon for both genders to be allowed to play the same sport. We spoke with one of our own soccer players here at Jerome High School to get a little more information about soccer. On Thursday October 22 the Jerome High School soccer team was heading to state. We interviewed Diego Gutierrez, to ask “how he thought the soccer team was going to do?” Gutierrez said, “ he thinks that we are going to win.” We asked, “ about how many soccer games has your team won?” Gutierrez said, “ like 8 games.” We asked, “ how hard has your team worked to get to where you are now?” Guiterrez said that, “they had worked pretty hard.” Schools support this sport more than others because of the amount of injuries students suffer. It is not very common for those who play soccer to become severely injured. Just about anyone enjoys being under the spotlight and being acknowledged for something that was accomplished by themselves. Playing this sport can allow for any team player to be under the spotlight for even just a few moments. Since this sport is easily able to be played by anyone  at any place or time it of course is going to rise in popularity.