Are School Assignments Causing Anxiety Among Students?

Has school become more overwhelming and giving students anxiety? School has always been stressful but now it has been more stressful than ever. Most teachers assign more and more assignments each day to get students to remember the material that is being taught to them, but that may not always be the case. Students spend up to 6-7 hours a day in school with each teacher assigning assignments in class. If the students do not finish their work they need to finish up at home. The issue is that many students may have jobs or extracurricular activities that give them less time to do their assignments.

We interviewed Memo Gutierrez, a Jerome High School student, to see what he thought. We asked him what he thought about homework. He said, “I hate it.” We also asked him if his teachers gave him homework. He said, “Yes they do, but it’s not that much.” When asked if he ever got stressed about homework he said “Yes.” One last thing we asked him was how he managed his time. He said “I do homework for about 30 minutes and then I take breaks”  Melissa Raley, a Jerome High School teacher explains, “Students need to utilize their time in class and most importantly communication, it is important to communicate with your teacher to explain that they may need more time.” 

Many students across the nation have to do all their work online which can be difficult to focus when all students have to do is stare at a screen for long periods of time every single day. We asked Ms. Raley, “What can teachers do to maybe help students not get too overwhelmed with too much homework?” She said, “ I try to not give my students too much homework, what I have been doing is cutting down to the basics, doing what they have to pass the standards. I have noticed students have also been struggling to stay motivated when they are doing their assignments on the computer, students also need to put in their parts as well not just the teachers.” 

Stress is overwhelming students so much that a study conducted by Better Sleep Council a mattress company, found that that stress and excessive homework are causing sleep deprivation among students. The study found 57 percent of teenagers said they do not get enough sleep and 67 percent said they get about 5-7 hours of sleep a day that is less than the amount that is recommended to get a good night’s rest. Many parents have also begun claiming that students are beginning to have less and less family time because they are getting assigned so much homework. A study conducted by the University of Phoenix found that students kindergarten through fifth grade are assigned 36 minutes of homework a day, 39 minutes a day for grades 6 through 8, and 210 minutes a day for grades 9 through 12. This is more than double the amount a student is encouraged to do each day. Assignments are not always a bad thing but too many assignments can really put a lot of stress and pressure on a student.