How Social Media Affects Teenagers

How Social Media Affects Teenagers

Jerome High School- Social Media has affected teens for many years now. Studies show that more than 50% of kids start using social media at 11-12 years old. Social media can do good things like help you keep in contacts with friends and family or even make new friends. More negatives of social media can increase risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts. Being on social media at night can also increase insomnia. Social Media can be more addicting than smoking and drinking which some people would be shocked by. 

What makes social media so addicting is the big question. The biggest reason why it’s so addicting is FOMO. FOMO is the fear of missing out which can be wanting to be updated constantly on what’s happening in the social world. Teenagers like to know what is happening constantly whether it is relevant or not. Social media can control your mood and how you see things. 

Another negative is that you could be cyber bullied on social media. Cyber bullying is always bad but when you start going onto social media at 11-12 can hurt a lot. Young kids’ minds are still developing and it can ruin how they look at everything. We asked Kaesen Olsen, a student at Jerome High School if she thinks it’s addicting and she said, “ Personally I do think it’s addicting because sometimes instead of paying attention in class I go on my phone instead of paying attention which causes me to fall behind in class. When I get home I go on my phone when I could be doing homework or other things. I know a lot of kids do this as well which shows how addicting it can be.” We also asked her how much she’s on her phone and she said, “ I’m on my phone as much as I can be. I know that sounds bad but it just is something I do. Whether it’s checking my Snapchat or Instagram or just scrolling through TikTok.” We also interviewed Natalie Parada, a student at Jerome High School how much she’s on her phone and she says, “ I try to stay off of it in class just because I don’t want to fall behind and have to catch up just so I don’t have to worry about it later. If listening to music counts then i’m constantly on my phone. I listen to music basically all day just because it makes me focus more and helps me while i’m doing work. So it really depends on what you mean by being on your phone.” We asked her why she thinks so many people are addicted to social media and she says, “ I would really call it an addiction but I feel like it’s where a lot of people like to express themselves so it gives them a safe space. Maybe sometimes we are on it a lot which you can cut down your time on social media but if it’s a happy or safe space for people then I wouldn’t call it an addiction.”