Kaylee Smith: We Are Here For You

Jerome, Idaho – Kaylee Smith, Senior at Jerome High School was in an accident Saturday night. Her and her step-dad were on their way to Burley when a Honda 2004 Accord crossed the median on the freeway and hit Kaylee’s car. According to the gofundme page created by Jillian Blackburn, “She tried to slow down and avoid the crash. There was still too much momentum between her vehicle and the one that hit her and her car rolled. The impact hit the driver’s side, pinning her in the vehicle.” Thankfully both Kaylee and her dad were wearing their seatbelts. 

She was life-flighted to Pocatello hospital. She had no blood flow in the left leg and was put into surgery to save the leg. “Her knee was pushed into her hip joint, her ankle was crushed, there was glass all over her face, ears and mouth, and a broken tibia. She also has a fracture in her pelvis as well as a fracture in her spine.” She is undergoing more surgeries. The surgeries that she has gone through so far have been successful. Family and friends hope that she will be out of the hospital by Friday. 

Kaylee Smith is a strong person who has a bright future ahead of her. She is an amazing friend, sister, and a huge part of a lot of people’s lives. She is funny, sweet, and just an outstanding human being. Kaylee is a part of the Jerome High School Speech team, and went to Semi-State. She is an amazing singer in the Jerome High School J Town Sound, and just has this persona that nobody can ignore. 

A lot of her friends were interviewed and this is what they had to say about Kaylee. Rutherford Smith said, “she is always someone I can go to if I need to talk, and she is always willing to listen to what I have to say. She knows things about me that no one will probably ever know.” 

Alex Keller said, “Kaylee is the strongest person I know. She always helps those in need before herself. She’s done so much for me and I don’t know what I would be without her in my life. What happened is nothing but a bump in her road to success. She is so strong, I know she can get through this.” 

Connor Robeson said, “She started out as just another one of my brother’s friends. But after getting to know her, two things are certain. She is extremely kind and selfless.”

Brendon Hiatt said, “Kaylee is an awesome person. She always does her best to help others feel included and feel like they matter. I love how she can be herself and not care what other people think. She is super talented and she is a super funny person. I have loved getting to know her and anyone would be lucky to have someone like Kaylee in their life.” 

Izzy Yosten said, “Kaylee is honestly the best person to be around. She is so uplifting and she has helped me in so many ways! Kaylee was my category leader in advanced drama, and without her help, I wouldn’t have had the confidence I did doing my piece with her sister, Hannah. She helped me so much when it came to choir, drama, and my personal life. Her talent is unexplainable! She is so talented in acting, speech, singing, hair and makeup! Being in class with Kaylee everyday for me is even better! She is such an uplifting human with a big beautiful heart. Kaylee has become one of my best friends who makes me laugh and smile anytime of the day. Even when I’m at my worst and just wanting to have a day of no smiling, she always has found a way to make me smile. She would probably disagree with me but she always found a way to make my days better. Kaylee is such a loving soul! I just know that Kaylee is going to do so many amazing, beautiful things in her life and I can’t wait to see where it takes her!!! I love you, Kaylee!”

Keisha Capps said, “Kaylee is one of those people you can always count on. She gives so much, and expects so little in return. She has such a kind soul, and I am extremely grateful to have her in my life.” 

Josh Andrus said, “Kaylee is one amazing person. I’ve known her since the sixth grade when we were in Princess What’s-her-name, she was always really nice and almost like a big sister. We’ve got our own high five and she’s always positive. Kaylee has an incredible voice and always finds a way to make everyone’s day better.” 

Tyler Andrus said, “Kaylee has been one of my friends since middle school. Gonna be honest… thought she liked my brother more than me, but that didn’t matter. I always found her to be a happy, kind hearted, and loving person. She was always everyone’s friend and always left everyone smiling. Even now she sends people inspirational videos that everyone needs in their life. She tells them how much they are loved and cared for. She really makes everyone feel special and cared for. I know that after high school she’s gonna go on to do great things. I can’t wait to see where she goes. I love Kaylee so much (and her dogs) and I’m so glad to be able to call her friend.” 

Graci Butler said, “One of the worst things to ever hear is the tragic news that one of your classmates has been injured in a car accident. Sadly the Class of 2021 had to undergo such news. Someone who is friends to so many and has touched countless hearts was in one of the most life changing experiences anyone could go through. I am grateful and will continue to thank God that  we did not lose our friend Kaylee. I am so grateful that she is okay and will continue to be on this earth with the rest of us. I am so grateful for Kaylee’s friendship and all that she has done to help me. It is my turn to return the favor and be here for her. We are all glad that you are safe and will continue to have you in our prayers.” 

Lexi Aragon says, “Kaje is one of my best friends. Since middle school, she has been there for me. She has helped me through some of the hardest times of my life. She is so talented and kind. She is one tough woman through and through. She always finds a way to help people down on their luck. Between school, extra curriculars, and anything else she has going on, she is always so selfless. She puts everyone first and she is one of the main reasons I’m still here. Thank you, Kaje, if you read this. I love you with all my hear.”

Ellie Wright says, “I’ve known Kaylee for basically all of my life. I met her when I was about 6 and we’ve been friends ever since. She is so strong and amazing. I love her so much. We were always there for each other. She’s gone through a lot of hard things in her life, but she keeps her head up and comes out a stronger person each time. Kaylee is so funny, smart, caring, and pretty sassy but in the best way. She is a light in my life.”

Jase Van Houten says, “Kaylee is a very strong and caring person who puts others before herself, and this is why she is loved by many people.” 

Hannah Smith, sister of Kaylee Smith, wanted to remind everyone to wear their seatbelts. Because that is what saved both Kaylee and her dad’s lives. The gofundme page is open now and accepting donations. 

Here is the link gofundme page for Kaylee: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3521257541265419/permalink/4154827387908428/