Driving in Jerome Becoming an Issue

By Mckenna Burk, Jakob Huff, Noelle Harker and Torrey Crouch

Recently in Jerome many people have complained about the driving. The people that live and drive in Jerome say people have been cutting them off, tailgating, and speeding. The people of Jerome are concerned about the increase of car crashes happening. The Jerome residents  want something to be done so they can feel more safe while driving. The number of car accidents increased over the summer. We had 92 people die on Idaho roads. On Saturday the 18th we had an accident in Jerome involving a Jerome High school student. We interviewed Enrique Berumen, one of the kids  involved in this wreck and he says that we need to improve safety on the roads. The student said that “When driving it’s important to stay off your phone and make sure you are paying very close attention to what’s happening around you”. The students involved in the accident were lucky that there were not very many severe injuries.  The national Safety Council reports that using cellphones while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Along with staying off your phones while driving it’s very important to wear your seatbelts. The students involved in this accident would have had way more injuries and even the possibility of death if they weren’t wearing their seatbelts. The survival rate of not wearing a seatbelt when in an accident is only 50%. Wearing seat belts reduces the risks of death by 45% and they also prevent passengers from being ejected during a crash. At Jerome High school we are very aware of the risk of not wearing a seatbelt and try our best to teach every student the risks of driving and texting and not wearing a seatbelt while driving. The number 1 cause of crashes in Idaho is distracted driving. It’s important that we always pay attention and learn from these recent crashes and that things could be much worse. We encourage that everyone stays safe on the road by following these precautions so that Jerome car accidents can decrease and we can have a safe driving environment.